Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Sound of Silence




The power went out the other night; just as night was approaching the house became very quiet.  There was an eerie stillness in the wake of the white noise generated by electricity.  In an instant the background noise was gone and I could hear the sounds of silence.

As Paul Simon wrote in his famous song The Sound of Silence, “hello darkness, my old friend I've come to talk with you again”, and I was left to a conversation with silence.  The quiet surrounded me and absorbed me into its space.

At first I resisted; fear took hold as I struggled with the situation.  I moved slowly through the fear.  The twilight gave me buoyancy as I tread the approaching darkness.  I opened the blinds and a full moon hung just outside my windows.  I was surprised to see it as we had already had a full moon earlier this month and here again was a second full moon, a blue moon.

 
Seeing this blue moon my anxieties dissolved and I began to float in the energy of the moment.  The sounds of the silence drew me in and the presence and energy of my celestial grandmother soothed me as she stopped by for the second time in a month.

What had begun as a moment of fear was replaced by my realization that all is always well.  The electric power was restored.  In the ensuing time a hush hung over my world, my energy was quieted until it resonated with the darkness that allowed this blue moon to brightly shine through my front windows.  

The power outage drew me out of the world and back into myself. I was rewarded with the spectacular sight of a blue moon hanging above my head. This morning I read the following:


  •  Drawing attention to stillness, silence, and spaciousness shifts your focus from feeding the insecurity of the ego to connecting with pure being. Anytime you identify with a sense of 'I'—'I feel something'; 'I have lost some­ thing'; 'I am lost'—you are identifying with the wrong person. You are identifying with the ego, with your pain body, not with your true nature." ~Tenzin Wangyal~ 


 
There is synchronicity in life; I only need to stop and realize that it is here.  When I lose the moment, when fear overwhelms me; in that moment I identify with my ego not with my true nature.  The other night I felt the perfect balance that is life then I opened my blinds and found the blue moon at my window; a wonderful metaphor for life.





No comments:

Post a Comment