Saturday, July 4, 2015

And Still I Rise






Your sweet strong face meets me in my dreams
There is wisdom in your words and understanding in your soul
A Sister, an Auntie, a Grandmother – all three reside in you as we visit in the dreamtime
You have touched me and graced my life with your presence
Though I never met you, shook your hand, nor had a personal encounter with you
Your words have sang to and soothed my spirit
You taught me that “life is a bitch and I must go out and kick ass”
I learned from you that I am a Phenomenally Phenomenal Woman
Being a woman I grace the life I live and those who touch my life are enriched
By my presence, my grace, my being a woman in a world
That has not valued or respected women for the gentle strength and graceful courage
We each hold at the very core, the center of our being
A gift so bright and pure it is often not seen because it outshines all other gifts
Present in ourselves, our communities, cultures, our world…
Yet we not only survive – we thrive –
Because of your light having lit the way of our paths
We are stronger, brighter, more vibrant, kinder, and gentler for the grace of you
As a woman, a mother, a wife, a friend, and lover I thank you Maya Angelou
For having graced our world for the short eighty-six years of your life
And like you, and because of you still I rise…again and again
I, as all those you have touched, remain as living tributes to your life
And have the courage to love one more time; always one more time
PSG
5/31/14

No comments:

Post a Comment